How can I get to Santorini?
Where is exactly Santorini? How can I get to there? What are the accommodation options in Santorini? What are the best excursions in Santorini? Which places should I visit in Santorini?
Santorini is undoubtedly one of the islands that travelers visiting Greece want to see first. One of the most important features of Santorini is to have visitors every season of the year. Because Santorini is not only an island where hotel holidays are made and visited just for swimming. Santorini is a volcanic island in terms of its structure and therefore it has different colored soils and various rock structures. It is also a distinguished attraction point with its impressive sights and historical sites that it offers to its visitors.
Where is exactly Santorini?
Santorini is a part of the Cyclades island group in the Aegean Sea of Greece. Cyclades islands group takes place in the southeast of Greece mainland and Athens. This islands group is located almost in the middle of Greece, Turkey, and Crete triangle. There are no settlements in most of the small islands of the Cyclades island community, which consists of 220 large and small islands. The most important touristic islands of this group are Mykonos, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Ios, Milos, Amorgos, Anafi, Syros, and Tinos.
How can I get to Santorini?
Santorini has the International Airport and its abbreviated name is JTR. In the summer season, there are direct or indirect flights to Athens from many countries. However, there may be some hardships for travelers to match their travel dates with the dates of direct flights or to find availabilities.
Athens International Airport (ATH) is the best option for those who cannot fly directly to Santorini or want to visit Athens (Athens Tours) first. There are two ways to go from Athens to Santorini. The first is the direct flights between Athens and Santorini, which are operated daily. Especially between May and September, which are accepted as the season period, flights are very often, and it is quite easy to find a plane suitable for the time you want to fly. Prices can vary from 25 Euros to 110 Euros depending on the season, time of the day and luggage you have. Olympic and Volotea are the airlines operate intensively between Athens and Santorini.
The second way to go to Santorini is to use a ferry. You can visit the site of https://greeceferries.com/ to book your ferry ticket. Ferry expeditions to Santorini are made from the port of Pireaus (PIR), which is the main port of both Greece and Athens. Ferries are classified as fast and normal ferries, while the fast ferries arrive in Santorini (Thira) in about 5 hours and 15 minutes, the regular ferries arrive in from 7 to 10 hours. Ferry prices are around 65 Euros for fast ones, and around 35 Euros for normal speed ones. Prices can vary 10 Euros up and down depending on the time and availability of the day.
On the other hand, you can also go to Santorini from other Cyclades islands by ferry. The most effective transportation vehicle to be used in the trip between the islands will be the ferry. It is recommended that you book your ferry tickets in advance in order to avoid any misfortune later when you make an island hopping itinerary.
The cheapest means of transportation within Greece or from airports or ports to hotels and vice versa is by metro or bus. However, considering that you are in a country that you do not known the roads and directions with a bunch of luggage, the most convenient method seems to have a taxi-style transportation. Arrange Transfer System is one of the best applications in Greece. You can see the price (same price with a regular taxi) of this private transfer on the system before you get on the vehicle, English speaking driver waits you at the airport gate on time and you can travel with the comfort of not having any surprise at the end.
What are the accommodation options in Santorini?
Due to the touristic character of Santorini Island, it is highly likely to find the best accommodation alternative depending on your budget. All kinds of rentals are available, from 2-star hotel to 5-star hotel, hotels where you can cook your own or home-style apartment or villa. However, the thing you should know about the hotels in islands such as Santorini and Mykonos is that no all-inclusive hotel and rarely full-board hotel. Hotels generally serve as bed and breakfast or half board. If you wish to have all-inclusive hotel in Greece, we recommend Halkidiki region or Crete island.
It is possible to gather the locations where you can stay in Santorini under two main titles. Those who would like to have the magnificent view of caldera and volcano prefer to stay in Fira (the capital of Santorini) or Oia town. You can explore narrow alleys decorated with white and blues houses in Fira. The most luxurious hotels are in Fira and Oia, the prices are mostly higher than the other locations. The prominent price features in these towns that gradually raise the hotel room prices can be listed as follows, Caldera view, cave room, private hot tub, private pool. Since the hotels around Oia are located on the slope and are landscape oriented, there are no beach hotels in this region.
For those who want to spend a hotel holiday closer to the beach in Santorini, the accommodation location is to be Perissa or Kamari. Hotels in these towns have comparatively more reasonable prices. In addition to having excellent black sand beaches, there are very lively and lovely bars and restaurants in these towns.
What are the best excursions in Santorini? Which places should I visit in Santorini?
There are incredibly attractive excursions in Santorini, with these excursions you will have the opportunity to see all the best places in Santorini.
This island bus tour, which starts at 9:45 and has a price of 55 Euros, continues until the sun sets. Private pick-up and drop-off from/to the hotel is included in the tour. The inclusion of the bus tour, which will take approximately 10 hours, is as follows.
- Guided tour of the Akrotiri Archaeological site, which remained under the volcanic ash with a volcanic eruption in BC 17th century (not including the entrance fee)
- A short break for taking pictures and walking in Red Beach, which takes its name from its color. The structures of volcanic rocks are impressive.
- Perivolos Black Sand Beach is a break for those who want to have lunch and swim on the most beautiful beach of Santorini (lunch not included)
- Wine tasting (included in the tour fee) on the island famous with its wines, a short stroll in Emporio Village, the oldest and authentic village of Santorini
- Photo stop on Mount Profitis Ilias, the highest hill of the island
- Finally, the famous and the unique Oia Sunset
This is a cruise tour within the Caldera and visiting Thirassia Island. Departure time of the boat is 11:00. The price is 49 Euro and included services as follows:
- From hotel to Athinios port transfer
- Cruise on a board of traditional style wooden boat which has the name of “Kaiki”
- First stop is the volcano, after a short hiking, chance to catch a nice sightseeing and to swim in hot spring
- Stop in Thirassia Island, lunch is optional, fisherman and traditional island preserved by 300 inhabitants.
- Last hit of the cruise tour is renown sunset in Oia, 200 steps climbing up to meet the peak and Oia Sunset, after the sunset return by bus from Oia
This is a 5 hours cruise tour starts from 155 Euro, do not forget to contact for the dates and availabilities. What the tour includes:
- Experience Santorini with a lagoon 500 series catamaran sailing tour
- First stop is the hot springs for 30 minutes, you can swim in the hot springs (towels included)
- Second stop is the White Beach. Time to swimming, snorkeling and barbeque on board for 1,5 hours (snorkeling equipment and meal included)
- Last stop is the Red Beach which takes its name from its color. You can have snorkeling here too and it is a great place to take a photo.
- The end of the tour is at Vlychada Bay.
- Pick up and drop off service from/to hotel, meal, towel, snorkeling equipment, free wifi on board included